Friday, June 17, 2011

Goodbye Stockholm

Stockholm makes me feel alive.  There is a mix of old and new.  It is cosmopolitan but rich in history and culture.  Today, I decide to nourish my soul with my immediate surroundings.  No rush to be anywhere at any time.  I wander about enjoying the landscape, waterfront and historical buildings that cross my path.  I ponder venturing over to the Vasa Museum.  It was one of the recommendations from Peppe, but I wonder whether I am on attraction overload.  Then the other side of my brain takes over and whispers,  “you will regret not going”.  So off I go.  The Vasa Gods must have been watching over me as I arrive just in time for the English speaking tour.

A replicate of the Vasa warship


Here is the brief history.  I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story. 
On 10 August 1628, Captain Söfring Hansson ordered Vasa to set sail on its maiden voyage to the naval station at Älvsnabben. The day was calm, and the only wind was a light breeze from the southwest. The ship was towed along the waterfront to the southern side of the harbor, where three sails were set, and the ship made way to the east. The gun ports were open, and the guns were out to fire a salute as the ship left Stockholm. Finally the great ship had begun its voyage.
After Vasa emerged from the lee of the city, a gust of wind filled its sails, and it heeled suddenly to port. The sheets were cast off, and the ship slowly righted herself as the gust passed. Soon another gust came, which again forced the ship onto its port side, this time causing water to flow through the open lower gun ports. The incoming rush of water caused Vasa to heel further, and it sank to a depth of 105 ft and only 390 ft from shore. Survivors clung to debris to save themselves, and many nearby boats rushed to their aid, but despite these efforts and the short distance to land, 30 to 50 people perished with the ship, according to reports. The flags and the tops of the main and fore masts, still visible above the surface, leaned heavily to port because of ballast that had shifted during the sinking. Vasa sank in full view of a crowd of hundreds, if not thousands, of mostly ordinary Stockholmers who had come to see the great ship set sail. The crowd included foreign ambassadors, in effect spies of Gustavus Adolphus' allies and enemies, who also witnessed the catastrophey.
The wreck was salvaged in 1961 after 333 years under sea.  The reconstructed vessel is 95% original.  I did my best to take some photos. If you make it to Stockholm, don’t miss this exhibit.   There is a great café to rest your laurels afterwards.

Before departing Stockholm, I make my way to Marushka’s.  This is Peppe’s daughters clothing store located in the main shopping district of Stockholm.  And yes, I contributed to her sales performance.  It was a must.
Shopping with Marushka
Click here for pictures

No comments: