Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tuesday, Dec 27th - A Visit to Rabi Island

The adventure begins with a visit to Rabi Island.  Marika had business over on the island so he invited me to jump on board for the ride over.  Before we headed to the boat, we pick up a few of his associates that will be making the trip.  Marika is a church leader with the Morman church.  We pick up Brother Jack and Brother Alfred along with two others. Unfortunately, I have a brain fade on their names.  All are very warm and welcoming.  Brother Jack and his wife are visiting missionaries from Utah.  Their mission is for 18 months and they have been here 15 months.  I am not sure I could spend that amount of time on the island. 

The boat ride is a smooth crossing which takes about 45 minutes.  The boys head off for their meeting and I am left to walk around the island.  With camera in tow, I head down the dirt path to see where it will lead and who I may meet. For some this may be a little unnerving.  But you should look at this as taking a walk around your neighborhood and saying hi or in Figian "Bula" to your fellow neighbors.

There is no stress here or even where I am staying - Taveuni.  The land has been given to the decedents and it is passed down through the generations.  As they grow, their village grows.  They help each other build their respective houses.  So unlike us, there is no mortgage, property tax, etc.  Water is great and plentiful (Fiji water- that's what I drink at home).  You can hook up for a cost of $200.  The island has a generator.  No electricity bill.  There is little to do, so transportation is minimal.  You walk or take the one bus that goes from point A to point B.  As I reflect, I don't recall seeing any cars on Rabi.  In addition, everyone grows fruits and vegetables. The papayas grow wild along the side of the roads and they are free to take.  Imagine that.

I love the laughter of kids and you can't help notice and hearing the commotion of them playing nearby.  These cute kids are playing outside of the villages community center.  As they are playing outside, their parents are inside (the place was packed inside).  I take a peak inside to see what is going on.  They look like they are being schooled so I quietly walk away not to disturb their meeting. 

On the way back from my walk, a couple befriends me and invites me to take a seat on their porch.  They are delighted to converse with me.  From her I learn what is happening at the community center.  The culture, heritage and family decedents are a very important part of their lives.  Every year the different villages host their family reunions. If they have left the island for work, they return for the reunion. It is important that the family members including children know their lineage.  A reunion can be a week long event.  They will sleep in the community center...on the floor or camp on the grounds next to the center.  Wow!  We talk about education and children.  She opens a photo book and shows me pictures of her family.
They wash by hand and line dry their clothes.  I tell her we are very spoiled in America.  She says no you are 'lucky'.  She is right we are lucky.

That evening Marika invites me to his home for dinner.  Their family was so happy to have me.  There was sausage, chicken curry, potatoes, yams, carrots and noodles. They are 'good' people with kind hearts. They tell me to come anytime as they know the food is expensive at the hotel.  They even had offered for me to stay with them.


Dinner at Marika's home. 


About Rabi (pronounced Rambi)
The island is covered with natural vegetation and an abundance of coconut trees. Prior to the Banabans settlement on Rabi in 1945 the island was used as a copra (coconut oil) plantation.

Rabi Island is self-governed by its own elected Council of Leaders and Elders and is a privately owned community within Fiji itself. The language spoken on the island is Gilbertese and the customs and traditions of the Banabans are still practiced today. The Banabans live in four major villages on the protected Fiji side of the island. The four villages and their occupants are the survivors and descendants from the same four villages that were destroyed by the invading Japanese forces back on their homeland island of Banaba/Ocean Island.

Brother Jack, Marika, Brother Alfred
The beautiful children of Rabi
Typical housing

No comments: