Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lamma Island & Departure Day

Some of you have been wondering where is the next post?  Is she home yet?  My apologies, but the last days were busy. Once I got home, it took me a few days to deal with jet lag.  Then I jumped over to Vegas to pick up Truman.  So here it is a week later with my final post for this segment of the journey.

In this post you will visit Lamma Island. I liken it to Catalina Island from a nature standpoint.  But instead of taking a golf cart around, you walk from one bay to another bay.  The walk is about 50 minutes and included some hills of course.  It was my fix for my El Moro workout.  Lamma is basically a fishing village.  It is not uncommon for the yachts to venture over and entertain clients with a great seafood lunch or dinner.  You pick out your fish and they cook it.  I just took in the sites as I could not bring myself to picking out a fish for the grill.  Especially the grouper.  They are such gently giants in the ocean.  How could anyone eat one.  No, I am not a vegetarian, but I it seemed sad to have these fish in captivity waiting for their destiny... the dinner table 

The visit to Lamma is complete and the ferry heads back.  Next stop...a late lunch. Pizza is sounding really good.

Tonight is my official last night in Hong Kong.  The trip would not be complete without venturing over to the Ritz Carlton.  The Ritz opened in May and is located on Kowloon Island.  Kowloon as you might remember has views of HK Island.  What is interesting about the property is that it sits on the top of an office tower.  The hotel lobby is on the 103rd floor.  The restaurants are just off the lobby and the Ozone Bar is on the 113th floor.  I found the views better on the 102nd floor as the views are less likely to be impaired by the clouds.  Photographing the city lights at night was a challenge.  Hopefully you get the sense of how spectacular the lights are as they shimmer across the night sky.   It is easy to wallow the hours away gazing at the views, but my eyes get heavy and its time to head home.  It probably had nothing to do with my chocolate martini and apple tart with vanilla bean ice cream....

My final day was spent leisurely.   It is bitter sweet.   The time spent was perfect in each location and I have no regrets.  I met some wonderful people along the way and have an appreciation of their customs and culture.  My bags are packed and I am ready to bid farewell.  Since my flight did not leave until 11:30pm at night, I took advantage of the In City Check In.  Basically you check in at a location within the city near you.  In my case Hong Kong station.  I drop off my bags, get my boarding pass, and then purchase a train ticket for the airport express train.   When I am ready to leave for the airport, I hit the subway and catch the train to the airport.  This process was easy, efficient and in my mind quite clever.

Before heading to the airport  I hit Toscana, the very popular italian restaurant at the Ritz.  I have a lovely meal and great conversation with my adjacent table mates.  In addition, I take in the final views of HK Island.  What a great way to close out this segment.

Enjoy the photos.  Next post will be June 6th.  The tour d'jour is London, Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark.  Of course the path may change along the way as you never know what doors may open! Remember we must be flexible.

Stay well my friends..................til we chat again

Click here for pictures

Lamma Island

One of the popular seaside restaurants


An attempt of capturing HK at night


The chefs @ Toscana


No comments: