Saturday, January 28, 2012

January 9th - A visit to Rotorua & Wai-O-Tapu

It is still drizzling but I move forward with my plan to head an hour north to investigate Rotorua.   As I make my way to Rotorua a warning light goes off in my car.  For the life of me, I can’t figure out the problem.  Lights on. Seatbelt fastened. Oil gage fine.  Why is this car beeping?  Ugh…low fuel.   What a bonehead. Of course I am out of fuel.  I drove 8 hours yesterday to get me to Taupo. Where is my co-pilot?

My biggest concern now is whether I can find a gas station.  I am already 15-20 minutes outside of Taupo and I know the opportunities for a gas stop will be limited en route to Rotorua.  I brace myself for the worst and start praying to God. “Please look after me and let me find a gas station”.  We all have been there, right?  I have no idea how far my little Toyota can go after the fuel warning.  I see a tourist spot and pull over.  Perhaps they will know how far the next fuel station might be as I know I can’t possible make it to Rotorua.  The gal was so great.  She said, “Not to worry a gas station is maybe 10 minutes away.  If you don’t make it, here’s my card and we will rescue you.”  Boy, that was remarkable and I was so ever thankful. I jump back in the car and keep praying the fuel station will appear soon.  It’s my lucky day.  There it is in all its glory, the gas station.  Yippee, Hurray, Thank you thank you thank you.  From this day forward I will monitor the fuel like a hawk.

I happily arrive in Rotorua with the full tank of gas.  But there is still a bit of a drizzle.  As I pass down the main street I am glad I decided to stay in Taupo for both nights.  The main street is loaded with hotels/motels all promising to rejuvenate your body thru therapeutic massages, dips in mineral baths and special mud from mother earth.   It is the Las Vegas of spa treatments.  The town to me has little character and is laden with that “rotten egg” sulphur smell.  Perhaps I am missing something but I choose to take a condola ride up the hill to view Lake Taupo and the town of Taupo.  In addition, I test my skill at the luge track.

The weather has started to clear so I make a stop at Wai-O-Tapu.  Wai-O-Tapu is part of the Maroa Caldera formed over 160,000 years ago.  The thermal activity is similar to visiting the geyser/thermal area at Yellowstone National Park. It has a geyser called Lady Knox which does her thing at 10:15am.  I missed it, unfortunately.

Rotorua
Rotorua is in the volcanic region of the Central Plateau.  The city is known for its geothermal activity, geysers and hot mud pools. The Taupo volcanic zone (which includes Rotorua) is generally recognized as one of the most active volcanic areas in the world…about 250k in length and 30-80km in width. The Rotorua Caldera (which is now occupied by Lake Rotorua; 14 miles in diameter) is one of several volcanoes in the volcanic zone.  Its last major eruption was about 240,000 years ago.

Sky Swing Rotorua - 50 meters above ground level & upto 120mph when you swing down

Devil's Bath @ Wai-O-Tapu

Pictures will follow as the internet is taking forevet to load up the pictures.  I will retry tomorrow morning.

cheers

clcik here for photos

No comments: