Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 10-11th - Napier

Will I ever find the warmth of the sunshine on my body?  If you head over the mountain pass and venture into the region of Hawke’s Bay, the answer is yes.  I am so happy that I can finally unveil some of those summer dresses.  I cherish the warmth of the sun upon my face and welcome the brief bead of sweat.  I definitely prefer the warmth to the cold. 

The coastal beaches of Napier are riddled with pebbles and rocks.  It does not hold a candle to the sandy beaches of Southern California. But it does warrant attention for its rebirth after an earthquake (measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale) rattled the town.  The city was rebuilt within a span of two years mixing new with old whilst preserving its 1930’s architecturally landscape.  Today, you wander the streets of Napier and are captivated by the Art Deco buildings.  It is world famous for its Art Deco buildings and celebrates annually its heritage with the Art Deco Weekend.

The weather in and around Hawke’s Bay is conducive to farming and agriculture.  The one close to my heart is wine-making.  In the US, we have limited access to the best New Zealand wines.  I ventured out to visit some of the better wineries recommended to me by Rebbecca Rameka, Rebecca and I chit chat for a bit and she is gracious enough to direct me to the best wineries in the area.  I also discover her family lives in Newport Beach.  You may be wondering who is Rebbecca and why would I trust her opinion. Rebecca is the owner of the highly rated restaurant Pacifica.  Although the interior of the restaurant does not project a 5- star vibe, it is every bit of 5-star.  The food was superb, imaginative, artistic and combined flavors that I have never experienced on my palette.  It was gastronomic.  Is that the right word?  Yes, I ended the day with dinner at Pacifica but only after an afternoon of wine tasting.

If you are lucky you may get invited to the Bungalow for some NZ wine.  I sent a mixed case home.

A sample of the Art Deco buildings in Napier
Craggy Range Winery
A taste of wine at Clearview with Tim Turvey, Owner
Click here for pictures

No comments: